Re: ASP ODBC error to Oracle

From: Niall Litchfield <Niall.litchfield_at_dial.pipex.com>
Date: Wed, 05 Oct 2005 21:36:20 +0100

junho.cho_at_gmail.com wrote:
> Niall,
> Thank you so much for your help.
>
> However, it did not solve my problem.
> Yes, I am using DSN, and Authenticated Users have full right to
> oracle\ora92.
>
> Do you think having oracle\ora92 on D drive while System root is on C
> drive will cause me a problem OR other extra folder to set the user
> right?
>
> Thanks,
> Junho

Should have read beyond the permissions settings. You should read the reference I gave, especially if you already have a tough security policy.

never the less

ora-12154 is the message you get when you can't resolve the connect identifier you are using (the oracle server description in your dns entry). This is complicated by the 'cannot retrieve text for...' part of the message which suggests to me that you have an environment variable for ORACLE_HOME set, and set incorrectly. I'd suggest

  1. get net8 configured so you can make an sqlplus connection from your 9i home.
  2. remove any ORACLE_HOME environment variables from the system or user environment (let the registry handle it).
--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA