Re: Oracle not acepting further new connections

From: Frank van Bortel <frank.van.bortel_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 05 Oct 2005 21:02:27 +0200

DavidDublin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> (Oracle 9i Linux)
>
> I have seven Tomcat webapps running - each with its own connection pool
> typically with a 2 or 3 connections each.
>
> I also access the DB from Toad on my desktop.
>
> Occasionally Toad or one of the webapps can't get a connection from
> Oracle and just times out. I'm pretty sure it's not leaking cursors or
> connection (which in any case will usually get a jdbc exception). Also
> the exisiting connection that were established seem to be OK.
>

> I didn't see anything in the Oracle logs but I'm not sure what and
> where to look. Can anyone suggest a way to debug this by adding extra
> logging in Oracle or such.

check with netstat (man netstat for the correct params) to find out how many connections you actually have - I bet your Linux server just chokes, and has over 65000 open connections. A lot of the will still hold a socket, but actually are time_wait; waiting to be shut down.

Use a working connection pool; switch to MTS - that direction.

--
Regards,
Frank van Bortel

Top-posting is one way to shut me up...