Resources for estimating hardware requirements

From: <BigBoote66_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 5 Oct 2005 10:47:59 -0700

Hi all,

Bear with me a second - I know a version of this question gets asked constantly, but does anyone out there know where I could find resources that would allow me to get some ballpark estimates about the kind of hardware I might need for a particular Oracle application?

I'm not looking for a pat answer, but instead somewhere I can go to expand my existing DBA knowledge to answer these kinds of questions.

I've been an Oracle DBA for about 8 years now, and I'm very comfortable tuning & managing existing Oracle installations, or figuring out how to scale up a particular system, but now I'm in the position to try to determine some hardware requirements for an application that has no existing hardware baseline. What means do I have available to me to determine what I'll need other than testing with hardware X, observing load characteristics & scaling accordingly?

In case anyone cares, the app in question is primarily going to be used as storage for data coming off a manufacuring system, with occasional queries that retrieve relatively few rows (100 - 10,000) (I'm not concerned about the performance of the queries right now - I'm sure I'll be able to make them run efficiently on whatever hardware can support the data collection aspects).

The load profile is going to be about 25 transactions per second, with each transaction inserting a row into a header table & about 150 rows into a detail table (with the detail table being about 30 - 50 bytes long). Given the nature of the collection (each transaction is generated 5 times per minute by each of 300 tools), I don't anticipate particularly high load spikes, and if the stores lag behind a bit due to heavy loading, it isn't a concern, so the say that peak capapcity would be no more than 40 transactions/second. This boils down to about 325 million rows per day, about 125 billion rows per year. The customer wants to hold onto data for about a year, which means at least 20 terabtyes of data online, although we can probably convince them to keep only 4 months.

Thanks,
-Steve Received on Wed Oct 05 2005 - 12:47:59 CDT