Re: Design Pattern: Multiple parameters to stored procedure

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Wed, 05 Oct 2005 08:29:24 -0700

Higgsy wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> Would really appreciate your advice on this.
>
> The situation is as follows. We have a legacy Java application which
> is capturing the changes of 40 different data items on a single screen.
> They want to pass all these changes to a stored procedure for the
> procedure to process.
>
> Simple....but the initial design had a stored procedure which had over
> 40 parameters with lovely naming conventions that basically obscured
> the logic. I am no PL/SQL expert but I think there is a better way to
> do this. I want to pass one object from the Java to the PLSQL
> (something like a java hashmap). I have looked at the STRUCT datatype
> and into creating a TYPE within the database.
>
> Has anyone any bright ideas or examples of how to do this better?
>
> As I said I would appreciate any advise or information you have on
> this.
>
> Cheers,
> GH

And the point is increased security? stability? scalability? performance? or just your personal artistic sense of proportion? My feeling would be to leave well enough alone unless you are addressing a specifically identifiable business problem or need more billable hours.

Were you "a PL/SQL expert" my advice might be different. But my sense here is you are wanting to tinker without the proper background to do it well. Generally no good comes from that.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
http://www.psoug.org