Design Pattern: Multiple parameters to stored procedure

From: Higgsy <hegarty.gavin_at_gmail.com>
Date: 5 Oct 2005 07:16:08 -0700

Hi folks,

Would really appreciate your advice on this.

The situation is as follows. We have a legacy Java application which is capturing the changes of 40 different data items on a single screen.  They want to pass all these changes to a stored procedure for the procedure to process.

Simple....but the initial design had a stored procedure which had over 40 parameters with lovely naming conventions that basically obscured the logic. I am no PL/SQL expert but I think there is a better way to do this. I want to pass one object from the Java to the PLSQL (something like a java hashmap). I have looked at the STRUCT datatype and into creating a TYPE within the database.

Has anyone any bright ideas or examples of how to do this better?

As I said I would appreciate any advise or information you have on this.

Cheers,
GH Received on Wed Oct 05 2005 - 09:16:08 CDT