Re: Oracle not acepting further new connections

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Wed, 05 Oct 2005 05:32:36 -0700

DavidDublin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> (Oracle 9i Linux)
>
> I have seven Tomcat webapps running - each with its own connection pool
> typically with a 2 or 3 connections each.
>
> I also access the DB from Toad on my desktop.
>
> Occasionally Toad or one of the webapps can't get a connection from
> Oracle and just times out. I'm pretty sure it's not leaking cursors or
> connection (which in any case will usually get a jdbc exception). Also
> the exisiting connection that were established seem to be OK.
>
> I didn't see anything in the Oracle logs but I'm not sure what and
> where to look. Can anyone suggest a way to debug this by adding extra
> logging in Oracle or such.

You state that you didn't see anything in the logs but also that you are not sure where to look. So what logs were you looking at and what did you see? Be specific.

Personally I'd look to see if a maximum connections was specified. Unlikely but I'd look. Then trace SQLNET both client and server side. How to do this is fully documented but look for sqlnet.ora entries such as:

# Debugging Parameters

trace_level_client= 16
trace_file_client=client
trace_directory_client=/home/oracle/trace
trace_unique_client=true

--
Daniel A. Morgan
http://www.psoug.org