Re: Oracle 10g migration

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Tue, 04 Oct 2005 14:14:57 -0700

carso wrote:
> Hello group,
>
> We are getting preparing at work to migrate to oracle 10g Rac. We
> currently have Oracle 8i and 9i databases as well as related
> applications. The migration issues we have so far identify are:
>
> - Data migration. How to efficiently move the data minimizing downtime.
> Ideally we'd like to accomplish zero downtime.
> - Code migration. How to quickly identify and perform the necessary
> code modifications.
> - Performance tuning. Using the information provided by the statpack
> and redo logs. How to efficiently (and ideally in an automated way)
> create test scenarios for load testing and performance tuning.
>
> For data migration with zero downtime we are considering some
> transactional data management tools that offer real time guaranteed
> capture and delivery of transactions across heterogeneous environments.
> The idea is to use them to maintain parallel systems with the option of
> going back and forth between them until we have eliminated all issues
> and can turn the old systems off. The question here is whether we can
> accomplish the same with native Oracle tools. Could someone comment on
> the approach?
>
> About code migration, load testing and performance tuning, could some
> one recommend migration tools that can help in this area? The most
> useful one should be able to analyze the database current workload and
> create a load testing script for the 10g environment.
>
> Thanks in advance for your comments and suggestions.

You have provided insufficient information from which a response can be constructed. No information as to what is in 8i or 9i. Are these OLTP or Warehouse databases? How large? How heavily transacted? Does your team have any experience with RAC? Have you tested them yet to identify mem-interconnect issues related to your schemas?

It may not be the case but from what you've written I'd say you are at least 3 months away from even considering putting this into production.

But I'd certainly consider creating the 10gR1 RAC cluster first. Making sure it was stable. Then replicating the apps from where they are to the new server.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
http://www.psoug.org