Re: Partition Drops is effecting performance adversely...

From: Dusan Bolek <spambin_at_seznam.cz>
Date: 30 Sep 2005 05:16:05 -0700

Jerome Vitalis napsal:
> Have you checked if some indexes on the partitioned table
> became unusable after the partition drop?

Global indexes are turning unusable for sure after a partition drop, but in that case they wouldn't face performance problems, but a quite self explanatory error message (ORA-01502). Of course, only if SKIP_UNUSABLE_INDEXES was left as default (i.e. FALSE). My aproach to this would be an investigation of optimizer plans for identical statements before and after DDL change. There may be some differences explaining reported behaviour. If it is not possible (can't wait for another scheduled drop), I recommend not to meditate about what caused the change and use a standard tunning aproach instead of it.

--
Dusan Bolek