8i SQL Plus Edit Question

From: Tim Marshall <TIMMY!_at_PurplePandaChasers.Moertherium>
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2005 14:13:40 -0230

Server 8.1.7.4.0, SQL Plus 8.1.7.0.0 I'm trying to see if SQL PLus can accept more characters in an SQL statement than it does.

I am finished working on a pretty hideous SQL statement that was more than 10,000 characters*. I use MS Access as a front end tool against our Oracle database, using Oracle SQL (bypassing the Jet database engine which is integral to Access). This works fine, but when I come up against errors in my SQL that don't jump out at me immediately, I like to copy the SQL statement to SQL plus which gives me a line location and often a specific pointer to where in a line my error is.

However, SQL Plus won't let me paste the entirity of the long SQL into it. When I go to edit mode and paste the full SQL into Notepad and then close to return to SQL Plus, it only accepts up to a specific amount of characters and drops the rest, giving me a message that line whatever has been truncated.

I tried going into the environment menu and setting the screen buffer, thinking that might do it, but this only allows me to increase from the install default (I think) of 1000 to a max of 2000.

I eventually got the SQL running just fine but I'm wondering if and how one can adjust SQL Plus to accept more characters.

Thanks very much in advance for any replies on this.