Re: RMAN 8i - Restore problem

From: Jerome Vitalis <vitalismanREMOVETHAT_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2005 22:36:18 +0200

On Tue, 27 Sep 2005 12:30:17 -0700, BD wrote:

> So, I ran the LIST INCARNATIONS OF DATABASE <SID> command, which
> returned the following:
>
> "command not allowed when not connected to a recovery catalog"
>
> So - Do I conclude that multiple attempts at incomplete
> restore/recovery of one database in this fashion cannot be done without
> a catalog?

Hi Bobby,

It is possible to do this kind of recovery in nocatalog mode provided you have a backup of your control file from before the resetlogs. Just start the instance in mount mode with the control file from this backup and perform your new incomplete recovery.

With 9i and higher it is easy to find such control file backup thanks to the control file autobackup feature. With 8i I can't remember, but if you can list the RMAN backups from before the resetlogs, you should be able to restore a previous control file version. Otherwise, it might be necessary to restore the control file from an operating system backup of the control file, if you had taken any (BTW the 8i doco says to take regular o.s. backup of the control file...)

Jerome Received on Tue Sep 27 2005 - 15:36:18 CDT