Oracle 7 to 9 Connectivity PL/SQL Compilation

From: Neil <njh3_at_bnfl.com>
Date: 26 Sep 2005 05:47:39 -0700

This topic has been extensively discussed here and elsewhere, with respect to database connection. But what about compiling PL/SQL?

We have a 9.2 database containing PL/SQL that needs to compile against tables in a 7.x database. So we have created an 8i 'in between' database, which contains synonyms pointing to the 7.x tables.

Within the 9.2 database, it is possible using SQLPlus to select data from the 7.x tables (via database link to the 8i database). However it is *not* possible to compile PL/SQL code on the 9.2 database that references the same 7.x tables

ie:
9i SQLplus -> 9i synonym -> db link -> 8i synonym -> db link -> 7.x table... works OK

9i PL/SQL -> 9i synonym -> db link -> 8i synonym -> db link -> 7.x table... does *not* work

Has anybody out there used the 8i "shim" database approach to successfully compile 9.x PL/SQL code against 7.x tables. (And no, upgrading the 7.x databases to a later version is NOT an option for us)

Regards,
Neil Received on Mon Sep 26 2005 - 07:47:39 CDT