Extent sizes

From: PK <pk26au_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 24 Sep 2005 17:44:30 -0700

Hi,

I am trying to understand optimal extent sizes when trying to create tablespaces and tables for 9i and higher.

I created a tablespace with 64k uniform size local managed and segment space management auto (9.2.0.6 on HP-UX). The database block size is 8k.

I created a table pk_temp (col_1 char(2000), col_2 char(2000)) in the above tablespace. Then I inserted 35 rows. Since each row is 4k in size and the extents are 64k in size each, I would think only two or three extents would be needed -considering row size overheads. But when I enquired in dba_extents and dba_segments views, there are 5 extents !!!!

Any ideas why ???

Thanks for your time.
PK Received on Sat Sep 24 2005 - 19:44:30 CDT