Re: How to select First and Last Row from Sql server database

From: HansF <News.Hans_at_telus.net>
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 19:52:24 GMT

We may have a bit of a terminology issue here. Perhaps you could define what you mean by

database

	in Oracle we have a fixed definition: afaik, you can't select from
	databases directly (although you can select from tables within schemas in
	a database, when the database is attached to an instance and open);
first and last row
	the SQL language does not have a definition of either of those terms -
	however, many people can simulate a 'first' or 'last' by using some kind
	of time stamp column as a reference;
SQL server
	are you referring to Micorsoft's derivative of Sybase's product? Or are
	you using the term to define any server that implements the SQL language?
	There are subtle differences and your spelling (capitalization) creates
	ambiguity.

--
Hans Forbrich
Canada-wide Oracle training and consulting mailto: Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com