Re: Consistent Whole Database Restore

From: Mark Bole <makbo_at_pacbell.net>
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 19:08:06 GMT

Gump wrote:

> Thanks David.
>

>>That depends entirely upon whether you have your old redo logs or not.
>>Should they be missing you would need to:
>>
>>startup mount;
>>alter database open resetlogs;
>>
>>to recreate the missing redo log files.

> I am guessing by "old redo logs" you mean the "online redo logs", not
> archived redo logs.
>
> Assuming I haven't lost any files, I don't need to do a RECOVER
> DATABASE. Correct?

In addition to the previous reply, your questions are answered completely in the relevant documentation, which it sound like you have read, but don't fully understand. Working through some scenarios in a test environment should be your next step.

Furthermore, although you can in fact copy the online redo logs of a consistent, closed database, the documentation advises against this, meaning you should normally plan on doing an "open resetlogs".

"Online redo logs, unlike archived logs, should never be backed up. The chief danger associated by having backups of online redo logs is that you may accidentally restore those backups without meaning to, and corrupt your database."

-Mark Bole Received on Thu Sep 22 2005 - 14:08:06 CDT