Re: QUESTION: RMAN Database duplication

From: Holger Baer <holger.baer_at_science-computing.de>
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 20:59:13 +0200

BD wrote:

>>I don't think that is true. Set newname will relocate the datafiles.

> Okay, I'll try it - but this is a direct quote from the documentation:
>
> "RMAN duplication has the following restrictions. You cannot:
> Use image copies located on one host to create a duplicate database on
> a new host.
> You must either use tape backups or create the image copies in the same
> file location in the new host. "
>
> Maybe I'm reading this wrong... Maybe it's saying that the RMAN
> executable is not able to relocate files to different hosts on its own
> (the files must be copied by FTP or RCP)...?
>
> But, if someone out there's done it, it's worth a go.
>
> I'll give it a go and see what happens.

I think the 8i documentation is just loosely worded. The documentation for 9iR2 states:

[quote]

  If the target and duplicate databases reside on different hosts, then you must do one of the following for duplication to be successful:

[/quote]

The key is: they must be *accessible* at the same location. So you shouldn't get into trouble if you just use an NFS mount to get to the backups (but the location, aka the path must be the same on both hosts).

HTH
Holger Received on Thu Sep 22 2005 - 13:59:13 CDT