Re: newbie queston: why would anyone use Oracle?

From: <fitzjarrell_at_cox.net>
Date: 21 Sep 2005 15:02:23 -0700

Mark A wrote:
> "David Portas" <REMOVE_BEFORE_REPLYING_dportas_at_acm.org> wrote in message
> >
> > PJ6 wrote:
> >> I spent years developing with SQL Server, now I'm learning Oracle. It's
> >> like
> >> twice as expensive, seems to me a lot harder to maintain. I never ran
> >> into
> >> something I couldn't do in MS SQL - why exactly would anyone go through
> >> the
> >> extra expense and hassle of using Oracle instead? I'm not asking to get
> >> anyone mad - I'd just like to know a bit more about how Oracle is
> >> different
> >> (and supposedly better) to make my transition make a little more sense.
> >>
> >> TIA,
> >> Paul
> >

> 1. MS SQL Server does not run on UNIX or Linux, and that is big problem for
> many companies and many applications.

I will agree with that statement.

> 2. Oracle has a huge market share. Once that happens, people choose the
> RDBMS based on their own career prospects more often than on the technical
> merits of the RDBMS. If every employee had guaranteed lifetime employment
> (with reasonable raises each year) then Oracle would loose market share
> rapidly.

I disagree with that analysis as it's flawed from the start. Simply because you champion DB2 over everything else has no bearing on the validity of your off-hand and incorrect assessment. Prove Oracle doesn't merit its position based upon the technical aspects of the product rather than make a 'hit-and-run' statement without basis of fact. Partitioning, RAC, Dataguard, Multi-master replication, Spatial are but a few of the technical offerings in Oracle which are not found in current releases of SQL Server, and likely not found in DB2. Support your comment with facts, not hearsay.

> 3. Oracle is making a big effort to make their product easier to use, but
> they still have a ways to go.

Simplifying the administration interface for a complex product is daunting, I'll agree. And I believe Oracle Corp. has done a fine job of this thus far, since it is now easier, in 10g, to manage a database than it is to read the DB2 documentation (or find it, for that matter).

David Fitzjarrell Received on Wed Sep 21 2005 - 17:02:23 CDT