Re: newbie queston: why would anyone use Oracle?

From: PJ6 <nobody_at_nowhere.net>
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 15:32:40 GMT

"Serge Rielau" <srielau_at_ca.ibm.com> wrote in message news:3pdbofFa025tU1_at_individual.net...
> You apparently never tried to install MS SQL Server on Linux or Unix :-)
> Also SQL Server (as shipped today) cannot scale either up or out.
> I don't mean CPU, I mean big tables (storing LOBs is not what constitutes
> a big table).

Hmmm. Big as in tens or hundreds of gigabytes, right?

I don't know what scale "up" or "out" means. I keep hearing "scaleable" when people talk about databases, but this word means nothing to me - I haven't designed any that needed to run on multiple servers, and the size has never exceeded 4Gb or 150 users.

Aside from maybe being better equiped to scale, does Oracle have other advantages?

Paul Received on Wed Sep 21 2005 - 10:32:40 CDT