Re: asynchronous i/o problem Oracle / Solaris (EXPERTS APPLY WITHIN)

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2005 00:32:59 +0200

On 17 Sep 2005 14:22:21 -0700, "Johne_uk" <edgarj_at_tiscali.co.uk> wrote:

>>> Turn it off, there was bug on 8.* on Solaris with asynch IO
>

>Hi,
>
>What are you suggesting I turn off?
>It is already turned off for the Log Writer (_lgwr_async_io = false).
>

>Do I turn it off for the complete database (disk_asynch_io = false).
>Or is there something I can do in Solaris?
>

>I turned off all asynch i/o in oracle and the dbase is still hanging so
>I ran at least rule this problem out.

What kind of filesystems do you have? vfs? vxfs? (default Veritas -stripped down- version)

Asynchronous I/O is only available when you have the Veritas *Database* Edition.
If you only have standard vxfs, you should turn asyncio OFF in the database.
You should also make sure all your filesystems with Oracle datafiles are mounted with the forcedirectio option, this will bypass the Solaris file system cache, which you don't need, as Oracle is already buffering.

Hth

--
Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA