Re: How to recover? (Oracle 8.0.5)

From: IANAL_VISTA <IANAL_Vista_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2005 20:58:18 GMT

"User" <user_at_domain.com> wrote in news:dghu04$r11$1_at_nemesis.news.tpi.pl:

> Hi,
>
> Some time ago anybody installed the Oracle (Server) 8.0.5
> on the computer with WinNT 4.0 Server. I can't get in touch
> with him anymore.
> The database "ORC1" is archived in 2 ways:
> - by copying the whole directory \orant (after stopping all
> services connected with Oracle)
> - as .dmp file by using EXP80 with full option
> I'd like to try to install the Oracle (from the same installation CD)
> and import the database "ORC1" on another computer with WinNT
> 4.0 Server. I want to do it now to be sure that I'll be able to recover
> the database in case of any failure in future.
> My questions are:
> - how to install the Oracle Server 8.0.5 (typical, custom)?
> - what should I do before using IMP80 with full option?
> and/or
> - what should I do before using the copy of \orant directory?
> I need instructions step by step as I'm not experienced in it.
>
> Regards,
> User

Your desires are prudent and admirable.
Your knowledge level is woefully inadequate. Answers to all your questions can be found at http://tahiti.oracle.com
but the sun will likely go dark before you achieve your goal on your own. IMO, if the data within the database is really worth something to you, then you hire somebody who can do more than just spell Oracle to build you a decent recovery site.
Also if the data within ORC1 is changing, you'll need a way to get the changed data into the new DB & keep the new DB reasonably current. I, for one, am not about to try to spoon feed you answers; which will likely be endless.
Also V8.0.5 was obsolete last century & you might want to consider upgrading. Received on Sat Sep 17 2005 - 15:58:18 CDT