Re: RAC Question

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2005 22:09:42 -0700

bgrade_at_gmail.com wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I was wondering if you could answer the following question for me?
>
> "A customer thinks they can run Oracle ASM (it's a form of virtual
> storage), with DAS, then connect multiple other Oracle servers to it
> and make it a RAC/Grid cluster, sharing the 1st servers virtual drive
> pool."
>
> This versus a FC SAN.
>
> Is this doable?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Bret

RAC has nothing to do with GRID. GRID has nothing to do with RAC. And ASM has nothing to do with either RAC or GRID. They are three entirely separate technologies each of which can be utilized independent of the other two or in any combination of 2 or all 3 together. And ASM has nothing to do with virtual storage.

I'd suggest you refer your customer to the concept docs.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
http://www.psoug.org