Re: pros/cons of dedicated vs. MTS connections?

From: Billy <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: 15 Sep 2005 00:01:12 -0700

Joe Weinstein wrote:

> I found this online commentary on MTS that
> concurs with you and most others that MTS should be avoided in
> most cases:
>
> http://www.dba-oracle.com/t_mts_multithreaded_servers_shared.htm

If you bothered to investigate a bit more, you would have seen that Burleson refered primarily to a paper dated 2001, done using Oracle 8.1. You would also seen that the paper's recommendation is:

"The Oracle Multi-Threaded Server feature can dramatically reduce the memory requirements of user connections, at the expense of some additional complexity and at the risk of causing performance degradation. Basically, one might want to consider using MTS if a server is having significant memory problems (i.e., a very high degree of paging/swapping) and if the application is designed in such a way to make sharing of user connections feasible. In general, OLTP-type applications can be suitable for MTS, while batch, data warehouse, and decision support applications are usually not appropriate for MTS."

Which is a sensible conclusion as OLTP systems are typically the ones that scale extremely well using MTS. Nor does this paper say that MTS is 'A Bad Thing' as many attempts to make it out to be.

Also realise that what was true some years ago in Oracle, is not always true today. And that has been proven numerous times - to great embarresment of some that still live by the conclusions and recommendations made in years passed.

--
Billy