Re: Career Advise - Database Management

From: Mark C. Stock <mcstockX_at_Xenquery>
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 15:19:31 -0400

"DA Morgan" <damorgan_at_psoug.org> wrote in message news:1126711827.545598_at_yasure...
> Pratap wrote:
>
>> Though in my personal opinion getting a certification does not gurantee
>> expertise in that area. But it does not harm you also!
>
> Certification most certainly hasn't harmed anyone. But $6,000 in cash:
> That is a lot of harm and it is outrageous. I can't believe anyone would
> charge that much money to give someone slow death by PowerPoint.
> --
> Daniel A. Morgan
> http://www.psoug.org
> damorgan_at_x.washington.edu
> (replace x with u to respond)

corporate instructor lead training goes for from $420 up to $550 or more per seat per day these days -- so at the low-end, $6k would covers about 14 days at 'standard' rates -- some 'boot camp' courses are listed for $9,495 for 14 days, including meals and accomodations

yeah, it's outrageously priced -- especially when instructor rates have been cut 50% or more in the last couple years and 'tuition' rates have not gone down -- but, of course, instructor experience and expertice has no doubt gone down with the rates

pricing aside, not every ILT course is powerpoint hell -- but unfortunately, that depends on the instructor, since it seems some (many) training companies act more like commodity brokers, ie "sure we can teach that for you mr. customer!" (boy i hope i can find someone that's available that week)

so, if corporate-targeted ILT training is the only option, make sure you thouroughly check out the company and its instructors, if possible getting specific student references before signing up

++ mcs Received on Wed Sep 14 2005 - 14:19:31 CDT