Re: need advice, upgrading 7.3.4 to 10g

From: JSchneider <jeremypaulschneider_at_gmail.com>
Date: 13 Sep 2005 11:35:49 -0700

EdStevens wrote:
> Paul wrote:
> > Regardless of architecture, can one just copy datafiles from one
> > system to another? Windows -> Linux or whatever?
>
> Absolutely not. And not 'regardless of architecture' but *specifically
> because of* architecture.

The transportable tablespace feature would allow you to directly copy datafiles between platforms with the same endian-ness. That's what I meant to refer to; however in this case you would need to upgrade the source platform first and then use RMAN to convert the datafiles before copying them... and it's debatable what advantage this has over just using export/import. Received on Tue Sep 13 2005 - 13:35:49 CDT