Re: LOGON TRIGGER AND JDBC CONNECTION POOLING

From: Peter Sylvester <peters_no_spam_please_at_not_here.org>
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 14:29:47 -0400

dbaplusplus_at_hotmail.com wrote:
> I am using oracle 10.1.0.3 on Windows 2000 and JDK 1.4.2_06.
>

> We have a packaged application which uses JDBC connection pool.
> I want to enable Oracle's tracing using logon trigger.
>
> Let use assume there are maximum of 5 connections in connection pool.
>
> 1. Will logon trigger be invoked a maximum of 5 times (when database is
> up) or each time when getConnection is called.
> 2. Will there be a maximum of 5 sessions shown in v$session for
> connection pool (5 connections in connection pool) or a separate
> session is created, each time a getConnection call from Connection Pool
> is done nad connection used.
>

> I will like to use dbms_monitor.set_clienf_identifier to distinguish
> different sessions.
>
> Thanks

A logon trigger gets fired whenever a new connection is first established. So once it goes into the pool it will never fire again.

v$session has one entry for each physical connection. Knows nothing about web tier sessions.

As I understand it, if you use dbms_monitor you don't need to get involved with logon triggers. That was the 9i and earlier way of doing things.

--Peter Received on Mon Sep 12 2005 - 13:29:47 CDT