Re: Please help a newbie

From: <fitzjarrell_at_cox.net>
Date: 12 Sep 2005 06:01:38 -0700

techguru wrote:
> Hello there,
>
> If you are good in SQL... it's pretty much the same other then the
> drivers you use to access Oracle Database.. Even I was in the same
> boat.. picked up in few days with no problem...
>
> Hope this helps,
>

> --

Not one bit, actually. Please explain your response that 'If you are good in SQL ... it's pretty much the same' when:

  1. The architecture is completely different
  2. There are datatypes in Oracle which do not exist in SQL Server
  3. Index types are different
  4. The concurrency models are completely different
  5. Object types are different (sequencces, index-organizxed tables, etc.)
  6. The transaction model is different

Any and all of these differences dramatically affect HOW you write code against an Oracle database, and it is FAR different from writing code against SQL Server. Obviously you failed to learn the differences; please refrain from offering advice as you have demonstrated a severe lack of applicable knowledge with regard to the original question.

David Fitzjarrell Received on Mon Sep 12 2005 - 08:01:38 CDT