Multi Level Tree Structure

From: <bpinaki_at_gmail.com>
Date: 8 Sep 2005 23:53:17 -0700

Hello,

       I am using Oracle 8.1.7 On Windows...

Id (Primary Key)	Name (Name of the person)	PredId (Predecessor Id)
1	                      A	                                  0
2	                      B                          	  1
3	                      C	                                  1
4	                      D	                                  2
5	                      E                                   2
6	                      F                           	  2
7	                      G	                                  4
8	                      H	                                  4
9	                      I	                                  3
10	                      J	                                  3

It is the problem of that Multi Level Tree structure:

The table contains the tree information. The PredId of a member contains the Id of the Parent Node. This tree can go to any level.

The only way to know that a particular node (say E, F, G, H, I, J) has no child is that, the IdD of that particular node will not appear in the PredId column. Eg. Id of G is 7. Since it has no child its ID will never come in the PredId column. If it comes that implies it has a child node.

If the user puts an ID say 2(i.e level B)....all the name and ID which are at a level lower to B and which do not have any branches will have to be displayed. that is all the end nodes below are to be displayed

If the user gives 2(which is B) as input...(E,F,G,H) along with thier id's should be displayed.

Important: D should not be displayed (as it is not the end node, it has further branches). Node B also need not be displayed (display only the child nodes).

Thanks in advance...

Pinaki Received on Fri Sep 09 2005 - 01:53:17 CDT