Re: Oracle 8.1.7 rollback segment help

From: <fitzjarrell_at_cox.net>
Date: 6 Sep 2005 08:01:27 -0700

Lord Fenner wrote:
> The release of database is 8.1.7.4 and I am not the only one to have
> access to the file system.
> How is it possible to delete rollback segment's datafile?
> Might you access to oracle and delete only the datafile or I must
> access to the filesystem or both?
> Thank you very much.
> Max

Oracle knows nothing of this loss, as per your original post:

"I have a problem with my Oracle database 8.1.7. I don't know if it is a security problem or known bug but i often lost rollback segment's datafile. It appear deleted and my system fall down.

I have to drop tablespace with contents and recreate tablespace and his

rollback segments.
It is a desease for my client and it happens 3 o 5 times per year. How can fix it?
Any suggests is appreciated.

Max"

Since, as you put it, 'It appear deleted and my system fall down' Oracle has no knowledge of this loss else it wouldn't be looking for the file. Also, in all of the years I administered 8.1.7.x I have never encountered this problem or known of anyone else who has. Someone has access to the operating system or some scheduled script is running and has deleted this file without notifiying Oracle of the event. You do not state whether this datafile is set to autoextend; if so, then it is possible a scheduled job is removing the file once it reaches a threshold size, which occurs three to five times a year. If not then some clueless user is removing the file not knowing what it may be. I would not expect this to be a malicious act as far more damaging things can be done to a database to bring it down and keep it there for an extended period of time.

I expect your rollback segment tablespace file is set to autoextend thus placing it in 'harms way' with a file system cleanup script. The nature of the act, as well as the frequency, suggest this. Examine your system for such a script and modify it to exclude any *.dbf files (presuming you've given your datafiles a .dbf extension). This should fix the problem.

David Fitzjarrell Received on Tue Sep 06 2005 - 10:01:27 CDT