Re: Tuning 'log file sync'

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Mon, 05 Sep 2005 16:40:01 GMT

On Mon, 05 Sep 2005 01:45:22 +0000, Mark Bole wrote:

> Mladen Gogala wrote:
>

>> On Fri, 02 Sep 2005 09:43:57 +0200, Sybrand Bakker wrote:
>>

>>>I frequently observed log file sync problems when increasing
>>>log_buffer.
>>>This is logical as the log buffer is locked by LGWR when LGWR flushes
>>>the buffer to the online redo log file.
>>>IMO, you should decrease log_buffer to anything below 1M and you are
>>>shooting yourself in your foot now.

> [...]

>> In version 8, transactions would wait for the LGWR to flush the entire
>> buffer, but that is no longer the case. Transactions now wait until
>> only their data has been written to disk. So, large buffer is no longer an
>> obstacle. [...]
>
> I don't follow your logic here.  What if the transaction's data is at
> the end of a large buffer?
>
> -Mark Bole

Actually, it was a word of mouth. My understanding is that log_buffer is written in the several I/O requests and that transaction is notified as soon as its commit record is written to the disk, not necessarily waiting for the whole buffer to be written down. When I come to think of it, 10.2 event doesn't prove it as it would need a waiting address, too.

--
http://www.mgogala.com