Question: RMAN - Getting closer...

From: BD <bobby_dread_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 1 Sep 2005 12:48:40 -0700

Hey, all.

Been on vacation for a few weeks, and now I'm back beating this RMAN beast into submission as best I can.

I've retraced my steps to the goal of performing a TSPITR (8i on AIX 5.2), and have now encountered an error message which appears to be a dead end for the moment.

nls_date_format has been a pain in the butt - a recent poster indicated that a bug in 8i causes RMAN to fail unless the nls_date_format begins with a month.

So: as to steps taken, I have:

Created the AUX init file and started the instance with NOMOUNT; I then ran the following sequence of commands:

  1. SQL+: alter session set nls_date_format='MM-DD-YYYY HH24:MI:SS';
  2. OS: set nls_date_format='MM-DD-YYYY HH24:MI:SS'
  3. RMAN: run {sql "alter session set nls_date_format=''MM-DD-YYYY HH24:MI:SS''"; }
  4. RMAN: run {allocate auxiliary channel dev1 type disk;sql "alter session set nls_date_format=''MM-DD-YYYY HH24:MI:SS''"; recover tablespace small_tables_2 until time '09-01-2005 09:45:01';}

The RMAN trace went as expected through each clause of the last command, up until the recover command (the same error is thrown when I attempt the equivalent RESTORE command).

Error message is:

RMAN-03022: compiling command: recover
RMAN-03026: error recovery releasing channel resources
RMAN-08031: released channel: dev1
RMAN-00571: =====
RMAN-00569: ===== ERROR MESSAGE STACK FOLLOWS =====
RMAN-00571: =====
RMAN-03002: failure during compilation of command
RMAN-03013: command type: recover
RMAN-06003: ORACLE error from target database: ORA-02122: Message 2122
not found; product=RDBMS; facility=ORA
RMAN-06097: text of failing SQL statement: begin dbms_output . get_line
( :line , :status ) ; end ;
RMAN-06099: error occurred in source file: krmk.pc, line: 4389

The only reference to ORA-2122 was from metalink, and always refers to SQL-2122 instead, which is "Select..into returned too many rows".

So I'm officially baffled. I'd keep pounding at it for awhile longer before posting, but I see nowhere to go!

Any wisdom out there would, as always, be appreciated.

BD Received on Thu Sep 01 2005 - 14:48:40 CDT