Re: Server deinstallation

From: Randy Harris <randy_at_SpamFree.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 18:27:40 GMT

"Alan Searle" <aj_searle_at_xxxyahoo.com> wrote in message news:df4rtf$o99$1_at_newsreader3.netcologne.de...

> As a newcomer to Oracle server, I am experimenting with the
> functionality (under Windows 2K) and so have deinstalled and
> re-installed several times.
>
> This works OK but I find that, although I try to make sure that all
> components are de-installed (i.e. using the Oracle Installer, deleting
> the directories and deleting entries from the registry) I find that
> previously declared databases/tablespaces are still declaring under
> 'Services' which means I cannot re-use these names.
>
> So can anyone tell me how to remove these services? Where is they
> controlled? In the registry? Or in the Windows environment (under
> control panel)? And do I need to be 'Administrator' on my PC or can I
> delete services with a normal user account?
>
> Any tips would be a great help.
>
> Regards,
> Alan Searle
>
> To e-mail me just remove the 'xxx' from the e-mail address.
>
> PS: In my documentation the user 'Oracle' is often mentioned. Is this
> account created automatically and, if so, what is the default password?
> And how should I format my login use this account in SQL*Plus?

Alan,

You'll find them in the registry:

HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services

They can be safely deleted from there. You will need Administrator priv. Then reboot.

AFAIK, no 'Oracle' account will get created, either in the database or in the OS, from installing Oracle server, or from creating a database. An OS group - ora_dba will get created. Your software owner (the account you use to install the server) will be in that group. Users sys and system will be in the database. You can login to SQL*Plus with those.

Randy Received on Wed Aug 31 2005 - 13:27:40 CDT