Re: how to alter a sysdba privileged user on RAC?

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 11:47:45 GMT

On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 09:13:56 -0700, DA Morgan wrote:

> ASM just a volume manager? Hardly.

Actually, it manages storage and it is an interface to raw partitions. That is what volume managers do.

> Name a volume manager capable of load balancing i/o.

EMC

> Name a volume manager capable of moving hot blocks to the outside of the
> disk.

I am not 100% certain but I am pretty sure that EMC can do that.

> Name a volume manager that uses as little CPU.

All of them. Volume managers do not use much CPU.

> Name a volume manager that doesn't involve adding an additional
> company's software into an already complex technology stack.

Linux LVM.

> Name a volume manager that is free (no additional cost).

Linux LVM.

> Name a volume manager that is operating system independent.

Veritas. Works on HP-UX, AIX, Solaris and Linux.

> My suspicion is that your lack of experience with ASM is shading your
> opinion.

My lack of experience? What do you know about me or my experience? I don't remember sending you my resume? I don't run ASM in production, mostly because I don't run 10g in production. I have set up a firewire cluster and used ASM. Nothing special there. The problem with ASM is that I cannot back it up without RMAN. With a clustered file system I can use tar, cpio, NetBackup (my favorite flavor of enterprise backup software) or even plain ol' copy command. I haven't set up 10gR2 cluster, it was 10.1.0.3, but what I saw did not overly impress me. It's not my fault if you've never seen a volume manager before or if you don't know what volume managers are for.

--
http://www.mgogala.com