Re: Recover old Database

From: <fitzjarrell_at_cox.net>
Date: 30 Aug 2005 14:02:14 -0700

acatejr_at_gmail.com wrote:
> Last summer I had a hardware failure on an Oracle server. We fixed the
> hardware problem and lost our Oracle install in the process. One of my
> Oracle db users had his own database on the server and in its own
> tablespace (unfortunately he wasn't doing backups). Once I got the
> server up and running again I re-installed Oracle. I put the new
> install in its own directory. The old directory still exists and the
> user that last his db wants his data. Is it possible to bring in the
> old tablespace with the data into the new Oracle instance? Thanks in
> advance.

>From your post it is not clear if the user's personal database was
affected by the loss or not. Presumably you can bring such a database back online; for UNIX/Linux it's a fairly simple task of:

$ sqlplus /nolog
SQL> startup pfile="........."

If the database mounts and opens you should be fine. You can also run dbv against the datafiles to verify they are usable prior to attempting a startup.

To be honest more information is needed before a definitive answer can be provided, such as operating system, Oracle version, whether or not any of the user's database files were affected. Please provide us this information; as it stands with your post there are too many unknown variables to allow anything more than guesswork.

David Fitzjarrell Received on Tue Aug 30 2005 - 16:02:14 CDT