Re: how to alter a sysdba privileged user on RAC?

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 09:13:56 -0700

Mladen Gogala wrote:
> On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 00:58:49 -0700, DA Morgan wrote:
>

>>Supposed to be that way.
>>
>>BTW: Oracle is likely dropping support for OCFS in a near-term
>>future release. You might want to start looking at RAW and ASM.

> Or to look into Red Hat's GFS, VxFS (Veritas) or Polyserve solutions.
> ASM is just a volume manager, and the very first generation at that. We
> all know how stable and reliable is that. Oracle 9i is a complete disaster
> as far as reliability and bug fixing is concerned. That is probably the
> absolute low of Oracle Corp., before version 10, of course. I wouldn't
> entrust my data to ASM just yet. OCFS sucks anyway.

ASM just a volume manager? Hardly.

Name a volume manager capable of load balancing i/o.

Name a volume manager capable of moving hot blocks to the outside of the disk.

Name a volume manager that uses as little CPU.

Name a volume manager that doesn't involve adding an additional company's software into an already complex technology stack.

Name a volume manager that is free (no additional cost).

Name a volume manager that is operating system independent.

My suspicion is that your lack of experience with ASM is shading your opinion.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
http://www.psoug.org