Re: Primary/non primary sessions

From: Maxim Demenko <mdemenko_at_arcor.de>
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 16:18:14 +0200

amogh schrieb:

> Mladen Gogala wrote:
>

>> On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 16:33:48 +0530, amogh wrote:
>>

>>> Hi,
>>>

>>> Is there a SYS table which indicates whether a session is primary or non
>>> primary? I tried using the v$session table, but none of the columns seem
>>> to indicate whether a session is primary or non-primary.
>>>
>>> I RTFM and STFW but couldnt find an answer. Any pointers would help!
>>>

>> We, the people of comp.databases.oracle.server hold this truth to be self
>> evident: all oracle sessions are created equal. Well, sort of, if we
>> disregard the division on system and user, foreground and background, MTS
>> vs. dedicated server etc. What would be the primary session? Oracle
>> doesn't maintain hierarchical relationship between sessions, like Unix
>> between processes. There is no primary or parent session. To my
>> knowledge,
>> there is no such thing as the primary session.
>>
> Self evident truths are self inflicted. A session in Oracle can have a
> non-migratable parent session. This is well documented and would not
> need explanation.
>
> Amogh

To prove your statement, please provide the link of official Oracle Documentation, which refers to terms "primary session" or "parent session".

Only a context i can think about it ( as i said , that is my guess only ) - parallel query execution. You can have a look ( if my quess is correct ) on http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/faq/pq_proc.html. However IMO, the term query coordinator is more common than parent session... Of course , system views related to parallel query execution are dependent on Oracle Version which you didn't provide, on 9i one would query V$PX_SESSION.

Best regards

Maxim

Best regards Received on Tue Aug 30 2005 - 09:18:14 CDT