Re: Oracle 9i and 10g on same Linux host

From: Fabrizio <fabrizio.magni_at_mycontinent.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 08:44:11 +0200

NetComrade wrote:
> I've installed Oracle 9.2.0.4 and then patched it to 9.2.0.6 on AMD
> x64 (Sun v40z).. just follow the procedures, don't forget to setup
> LD_ASSUME_KERNEL, and don't install any linux/oracle patches intended
> for i386/i586... Lastly, ignore the compile errors (in both initial
> install, and the patch), and then just 'relink all.

If going with 10g and a 2.6 kernel I deeply suggest not to set LD_ASSUME_KERNEL or at least to unset it after installation.

The system is going to be more stable thanks to natix posix thread library, especially on RAC.

I have only SLES here and I can't demostrate the differences on redhat.

But you can do a check (a simple ps -fe|grep tnslsnr) on the differences between a listener started with and without LS_ASSUME_KERNEL (check even the libraries used with lsof).

Regards

--
Fabrizio Magni

fabrizio.magni_at_mycontinent.com