Re: How to hide not-owned tables from users?

From: EdStevens <quetico_man_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 29 Aug 2005 05:51:25 -0700

Replies embedded ...

Ach C via DBMonster.com wrote:
> Hi all,
> This may seems dummy but scenario is:
> I have one schema called [B]user1[/B].I have created another user called [B]
> user2[/B] that I want to have select,insert,update,delete privileges on
> tables of user2.

OK. By definition, user2 DOES have SELECT, INSERT, UPDATE,DELETE on tables of user2. Are you saying that these are the *only* tables you want user2 to have *any* privileges on?

> Initially I granted only resource,connect to user2.

Do not grant these roles to anyone. Have you actually looked at what privileges are in these roles? Pretty scary, really.

Either grant ONLY the privileges needed directly to user2, or create a custom role for user2 and grant ONLY the needed priveleges to that role.

>Then I created and ran a
> script that grant select,insert,update,delete to user2.But When I query
> all_tables (connected by user2) I can see many more tables that are not in
> user_tables.
> I tried to revoke access to those additional tables from PUBLIC but no
> chance.What should I do(revoke) to have same result from user_tables and
> all_tables?!
> -Thanks in advance
> PS: Also our .Net developers that use ODP.NET see many many more tables in
> list of tables.(They are connected with user2)

They see exactly what is allowed to the account with which THEY connect.