Re: how to test unload to a directory defined in DB

From: NormaJean S via DBMonster.com <forum_at_DBMonster.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2005 22:40:43 GMT

Hi Dave & Jaap,
thank you in advance for more of your advice. even if you make me RTFM that is fine, just point me to the right book :)

>>>.....Assuming the application uses UTL_FILE:

no, i can't assume that. the oracle DBA with more experience than I have never mentioned that. She's got more experience, but I am the better troubleshooter (with little Oracle experience). How would i see if the app is using UTL_FILE? I have DBArtisan as a tool.... I just checked.... this instance (oracle 9. 2.0.6) has a null/not set UTL_FILE_DIR in the config file.

Should I check with the programmer for the setting they need? (I remember in the past programmers requesting this changed on other instances)

>>>1) what is the unix account the database is started with?

oracle

>>>2) can this account reach the directory (is the x-bit set for this account for all parent directories and the directory itself?)

yes, i touched a file (unix) and it was created, and i could remove it. I have not played with the parent directory settings. This would normally be something i would try, but the more experienced Oracle DBA insists the parents do not have to be set in order to for access to subdir to be ok. So, i won't play with that (yet).... normally i'd just open it up all the way up to the directory path if needed.

>>>3) can this account write in the directory?

yes, i touched a file, and removed it.

>>>4) Does the file that the application wants to write to, already exists under another account, so that the file can not be overwritten?

i wish :)
no, the directory is empty unless i touch a file.

i will email the programmer and ask about UTL_FILE settings. thanks,
Norma Jean