Re: UNDOTBS01.DBF file size

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2005 23:16:52 +0200

On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 14:40:47 -0400, Jim <mail_at_lost.com> wrote:

>>select name, value
>>from v$parameter
>>where name = 'undo_retention';
>
>this returns 900. can i change this value via a sql statement? some
>of our pl/sql scripts run for 5-mins or so.

First check out whether you are using a s(erver)p(arameterfile) By issuing
show parameter spfile
If this does return a filename you are using the spfile, and the mystery of the lacking init.ora is solved Then you need to check out whether the undo_retention parameter can be modified dynamically. This will be shown in the columns issysmodifiable of the v$parameter view if in the can be altered on system level dynamically
If it can be altered isse
alter system set undo_retention = <whatever> scope=both /
If it can't be altered dynamically issue alter system set undo_retention = <whatever> scope=spfile /
and bounce the database.
Evidently, you're going to need to read those manuals.

--
Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA