Re: Design/Recovery Questions on Two-Phase Commit (2PC) Protocol

From: HansF <News.Hans_at_telus.net>
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2005 17:42:03 GMT

On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 10:16:18 -0700, Lee interested us by writing:

> would advanced replication mean that changes
> to any database would be applied to the remaining two?

Change 'would' to 'could'. AR permits this under the 'multi-master' configuration, but it's under your control.

There is also a complete document titled "Oracle9i Advanced Replication" available at
http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B10501_01/server.920/a96567/toc.htm that discusses this in even more detail than the Concepts manual. Direct answer to your question, from the doc in chapter 1:

Multimaster replication (also called peer-to-peer or n-way replication) enables multiple sites, acting as equal peers, to manage groups of replicated database objects. Each site in a multimaster replication environment is a master site, and each site communicates with the other master sites.

Applications can update any replicated table at any site in a multimaster configuration. Oracle database servers operating as master sites in a multimaster environment automatically work to converge the data of all table replicas and to ensure global transaction consistency and data integrity.

There are other variations in Oracle, such as Materialized View replication.

--
Hans Forbrich
mailto: Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com