Re: UNDOTBS01.DBF file size

From: <fitzjarrell_at_cox.net>
Date: 26 Aug 2005 10:09:37 -0700

Jim wrote:
> >An area no one has yet considered is the value for the undo_retention
> >parameter; this directly affects the size of the UNDO tablespace.
> >Possibly this is set larger than necessary; a quick chat with the DBA
> >should put this issue to rest as he/she can explain the rationale
> >behind the undo tablespace size.
> >

> the is no (gulp) dba here. where can i find the undo-retention
> parameter in Oracle10? which file? i can't find init.ora file
> anywhere on the system.
>
> i also ran dbmsuadv.sql file hoping it would give me some insights.
> thanks.

There should be an spfile in $ORACLE_HOME/dbs. Also you could query the V$PARAMETER view to find the value:

select name, value
from v$parameter
where name = 'undo_retention';

I would visit tahiti.oracle.com and start reading, especially on UNDO management. Also you might want to visit

http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/

and search there for UNDO information, as well as asktom.oracle.com. Understanding the mechanism is key to unlocking this situation.

David Fitzjarrell Received on Fri Aug 26 2005 - 12:09:37 CDT