Re: Oracle 9i and 10g on same Linux host

From: Holger Baer <holger.baer_at_science-computing.de>
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2005 17:22:37 +0200

bnies_at_bluewin.ch wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Has someone managed to install and run Oracle 9i and 10g on the same
> Linux host (RHEL4 x86_64)?

Be sure that you've got a distro that supports both. Check out Werner Puschitz' site.

> I intend to install them into
>
> /opt/oracle/9.2.0.4
> /opt/oracle/10.1.0.3
>
> with databases in
>
> /data/oracle/9.2.0.4
> /data/oracle/10.1.0.3
>
> move the
>
> /etc/oraInst.loc
> /etc/oratab
> /etc/oracle

> /etc/oracle/9.2.0.4
> /etc/oracle/10.1.0.3

And why? oraInst.loc, oratab are perfectly fit to support more than one oracle_home.

Since you're on x86_64 you're minimum oracle version is 9.2.0.4, I'd strongly encourage you to upgrade to 9.2.0.6 which in turn will give you a 10g compliant installer location, since a 10g compatible installer was included in the 9.2.0.5 IIRC.

> and set the approprite links before starting up the database.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Regards,
> Bernd

As a side note: I've not installed 9i together with 10g on x86_64 ever before. But recently I had to try (I warned upfront it wouldn't work) to install 9i on an unsupported OS (which didn't work) , then we tried 10g on the same OS (still not supported but works partially) and now we are waiting for 10gR2 which is projected to be supported.

Be prepared for some nasty surprises and don't make things more complicated than they already are.

Cheers,
Holger Received on Fri Aug 26 2005 - 10:22:37 CDT