Re: Any Suggestions on Method R

From: hpuxrac <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: 25 Aug 2005 05:54:01 -0700

alan_h_r_at_yahoo.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm a DBA/Developer who has recently learned about the "Method R"
> tuning philosophy. So far I've read "Oracle Insights", am reading
> "Optimizing Oracle Perfomance" and I have "Oracle Wait Interface"
> waiting in my bathroom for it's turn.
>
> Does anyone who favors "Method R" have any suggestions on where I
> should go next? I love the concept though I definitely need more help
> with what to do after I target the hogs in my systems.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Alan

Alan, first thing you have to do is read Cary's book about 4 or 5 times from cover to cover. I have been doing this a long time myself but it took that many times to catch most of what is in there. (Actually I think I should read it all again).

There are several good SQL tuning books out there to help you. SQL High Performance Tuning by Guy Harrison is one of them. Tom Kyte's Effective Oracle Design is also very helpful. Read both of those books several times as they complement each other.

Get very familiar with turning tracing on and off. I have a database logon trigger that I often use to get a complete session trace.

Get very familiar with tkprof and check out a resource profiler. Egorst has an excellent free and open source one called orasrp that is based on Cary's book. Hotsos of course has a commercial product. Received on Thu Aug 25 2005 - 07:54:01 CDT