Re: Any Suggestions on Method R

From: Holger Baer <holger.baer_at_science-computing.de>
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2005 13:33:09 +0200

alan_h_r_at_yahoo.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm a DBA/Developer who has recently learned about the "Method R"
> tuning philosophy. So far I've read "Oracle Insights", am reading
> "Optimizing Oracle Perfomance" and I have "Oracle Wait Interface"
> waiting in my bathroom for it's turn.
>
> Does anyone who favors "Method R" have any suggestions on where I
> should go next? I love the concept though I definitely need more help
> with what to do after I target the hogs in my systems.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Alan

The problem (if there is any) with "Method R" as Cary Milsap calls it, is that it helps you identify the bottleneck of your system, but of course it can't tell you how to solve that.

But having identified the reason for the unsatisfying performance/throughput/whatever, you're pretty much equipped to find a solution, too. But this means mostly talking to

And a few trips to metalink and several other websites (Asktom, Jonathan Lewis' site, Hotsos to name a few) should get you up to speed.

HTH
Holger Received on Thu Aug 25 2005 - 06:33:09 CDT