Re: Method to replicate certain tables

From: Mark Bole <makbo_at_pacbell.net>
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2005 02:57:09 GMT

MSUDad_at_gmail.com wrote:

> I have a database (Oracle 9i) with approximately 100 tables in our
> production facility and need to replicate most but not all of the
> tables to a database at our preproduction facility. We can't overlay
> all of the tables because certain preprod tables contain important info
> different from Prod. I need to perform this replication on a monthly
> basis and it must be done as quickly as possible.
>
> Doing a simple export/import of each table has proven to be very
> tedious and takes much too long.
>
> Any suggestions on methods to perform this quickly?

Since, according to what you have stated, you can segregate the tables to be updated from those not to be updated (no referential integrity constraints), then simply move the tables to be updated to separate tablespace(s) and transport the tablespace(s).

You didn't mention platform or specific version information, so we'll assume this is possible in your environment.

BTW, what part of exp/imp is very tedious or takes much too long? The data load? The index creation? The constraint enabling? The statistics gathering? Maybe exp/imp isn't as bad as you think... provide more details to support your claim or discover if there isn't a better way...

-Mark Bole Received on Wed Aug 24 2005 - 21:57:09 CDT