Re: large table optimizer suggestions

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 20:58:12 +0200

On 24 Aug 2005 11:48:13 -0700, "mark thomas" <mark_at_immermail.com> wrote:

>Oracle Corp's geniuses suggested I 'alter table noparallel' Sure
>enough, then the index gets used, but then the multi-part aggregate
>queries run single-threaded, which obviously is a killer.

I don't agree with your statement. Tests I conducted in the pasts demonstrated, that if you don't have your table striped or partitioned across multiple disks, parallel query is pretty useless. Also you need to take into account one process is getting used a query coordinator, and that process (your session) will be messaging to and waiting for the query slaves all the time. In my case, disabling parallel query completely, provided better results.

--
Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA