Re: ora10g disaster recovery - the way

From: Matthias Hoys <idmwarpzone_NOSPAM__at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 20:03:32 +0200

"Holger Baer" <holger.baer_at_science-computing.de> wrote in message news:dehrhc$8gb$1_at_news.BelWue.DE...
> Dariusz Adamiak wrote:
>> Hi,
>> is there any simple way to recover database after disaster?
>>
>> now i tested procedure /below/ , it seems is OK, but
>> http://localhost:5500/em ... doesnt work...
>>

>> procedure
>> 1. Backup
>> rman>backup database plus archivelog
>> rman>restore database validate
>> rman>delete noprompt obsolete
>>
>> so I have backup, control files with spfile
>> i copy also pwd___.ora tnsnames.ora
>>
>> 2. Recovery
>> install oracle software (instance)
>> create listener
>> create directory structure
>> create oracle service (oradim -new ...)
>> copy pwd___.ora, tnsnames.ora
>> set oracle SID (in windows registry)
>> rman> set DBID
>> rman> restore SPFILE from backup file
>> rman>restore control files from backup file
>> rman> copy backup to flash_recovery_area
>> rman> restore database
>> rman>recover database
>> rman>alter database open resetlogs
>>

>> Regards
>>
>> Dariusz
>
> Well, you recovered your database, didn't you? What you failed to
> do was to configure dbconsole accordingly. To my best knowledge
> this can be done via emctl. However, it is not very well documented,
> but the Enterprise Manager Advanced Configuration contains some
> information
> (if somewhat of the fully grown Grid-Control persuasion).
>
> HTH
>
> Holger

It definitely isn't properly documented, and I'm really disappointed in Oracle by that. I just spend nearly 2 days trying to find out how to get the dbconsole working on AIX 5.2, and it still doesn't work ... The Metalink guys are working on it ... Problems with X-Server (I thought it was completely web-based but no, we need a RUNNING X-Server)and hostname resolution ... Also, apparently Oracle 10g can not be managed with the 9i EM Console (another disappointment), so now I'm using TOAD instead ...

Matthias Received on Wed Aug 24 2005 - 13:03:32 CDT