Re: "global change"

From: Mark D Powell <Mark.Powell_at_eds.com>
Date: 23 Aug 2005 07:25:29 -0700

Angela, in what frame of reference should we take "global change" to apply?

One way I can think of the term being used would be in changing database parameters. Many database parameter values can be changed at the session level or instance wide. An instance wide change would be a "global" change.

alter session set global_names = FALSE
aler system set global_names = FALSE scope=both

The first command affects only my session while the second immediately takes affect accross the entire instance. Some parameters can be changed and take affect immediately while others require the instance to be bounced to take effect.

See the SQL manual entries for ALTER SESSION and ALTER SYSTEM plus see the Oracle version# Reference manual for the database parameters.

Another possible use of the terminology might be related to the taking of global checkpoints. RAC system coordinate checkpoints accross instances in order to facilitate recovery operations should they be necessary. There are RAC manual that should provide more details if this is along the lines you want.

HTH -- Mark D Powell -- Received on Tue Aug 23 2005 - 09:25:29 CDT