Re: Oracle partitioning

From: Billy <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: 23 Aug 2005 02:12:40 -0700

Joel Garry wrote:

> Maybe I'm missing something... why don't you give each customer his own
> schema? Some real or imagined Portal data source limitation?

In a similar situation and I'm using VPDBs/FGAC and partitioning extensively. I have a single code set to maintain. Single implementation of that code. Single schema containing the code and the data.

If the application works for 2 customers, it will work for 2000 customers, and it should work for 2 million customers (once they've done some major SAN upgrades ;-).

BTW, customer access is via web portal.

If I had to deal with this as schemas.. ouch. Currently the software detects new customers automatically from the customer config system and automatically configures partitions (customer lookup tables) for taking on that customer. 0% manual effort or administration to make it happen.

Currently handling 139 customers. This is to go up by several 1000's. Schemas? No way!

--
Billy