Re: Moving from Oracle 8i on Windows to 10G on RH Linux

From: Noons <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: 22 Aug 2005 23:43:34 -0700

Kanwar Singh Plaha wrote:

> My previous company moved from a Solaris platform to Red Hat Linux with
> Oracle 10g and have saved heaps (and is saving each time they want to
> add a new server). Linux servers (from DELL) are now as cheap as
> $10,000 (AU) and come pre-installed with Red Hat Linux AS. I really
> want to know the cost of hardware and software of each Apple computer
> so we can give a fair assessment to whoever is looking to make a
> change.

You haven't hit many problems/bugs with Oracle+RH, have you? Some have...

> Most important: Why lock users into another vendor while veering them
> away from one?

It's not locking anymore.

> Apple is as proprietory as Windows.

Not with OSx. It's Unix, for all intents and purposes. And since the vast majority of users out there wouldn't give a toss about having access to the actual source code - all they want is a cheap open standards based solution - things even out.

> but look at the trend that Oracle has taken: They are moving to open
> standards all around. Shouldn't that be a guideline for their users
> too?

Yup. That's why Apple is nowadays such a good fit. "open" is not a synonym for "linux", although of course Linux is open. Received on Tue Aug 23 2005 - 01:43:34 CDT