Re: Moving from Oracle 8i on Windows to 10G on RH Linux

From: Kanwar Singh Plaha <Plaha.Kanwar_at_gmail.com>
Date: 22 Aug 2005 23:34:44 -0700

Hi Daniel,
I read with interest your opinions of going with Apple as opposed to Linux. Although I will try to steer away from any seemingly zealot comments here, I would definitely want to ask you to back up your claim of Apple being cheaper than Linux, support and all included.

My previous company moved from a Solaris platform to Red Hat Linux with Oracle 10g and have saved heaps (and is saving each time they want to add a new server). Linux servers (from DELL) are now as cheap as $10,000 (AU) and come pre-installed with Red Hat Linux AS. I really want to know the cost of hardware and software of each Apple computer so we can give a fair assessment to whoever is looking to make a change.

Don't get me wrong, your comments seem to be driven by "contempt" for the Open-Source alternative.

Most important: Why lock users into another vendor while veering them away from one? Apple is as proprietory as Windows. I say this not because I want all software to be open-source or free (Oracle is not!) but look at the trend that Oracle has taken: They are moving to open standards all around. Shouldn't that be a guideline for their users too?

Your thoughts? Received on Tue Aug 23 2005 - 01:34:44 CDT